Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Of Birds and Parks

I uploaded my first 18 photos to Fotolia last night and attempted to find my way through the maze of keyword requirements to finalize my submission. They have not, as of yet, been accepted though I'm sure I'll get feedback soon either way. I noticed that when I searched using my keywords, a rather large selection of types of photos were returned. Somehow, pictures of hummingbirds found there way into 'conservation park' or 'forest' and I'm clueless on why this occured.

The cynic in me might think that photographers just upload every single dictionary word they can find in order to get their pictures included in every possible search. This is unfortunate. How do I get my pictures of 'rocks and forests near lake' to the top of the list? Ken Rockwell's suggestion that, "if you can't see why the picture is interesting as a thumbnail, it's not interesting" is true. Potential buyers will scan through looking no further than the thumbnail.

Clearly this will dictate some of my composition decisions going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment